December 18, 2020
Season's Greetings, Daniel!
Holy crap — what a year! How was it for you? What did you learn in the now infamous 2020 — the good and the bad?
Every outcome or circumstance can be turned into
a gift and opportunity.
—Shirzad Chamine, Positive Intelligence
In every challenge — no matter how demanding, even a crazy-ass year like 2020 — there are gifts and opportunities. What were yours this past year?
It’s easy to tally the disappointments and roadblocks of 2020 ... but much harder (and decidedly more important) to acknowledge the amazingness of the unexpected growth and the surprising invitations to new greatness. What was your growth? What were your invitations? What were your surprises?
Thank you for continuing to invite me into your world. It is a privilege I take very seriously. I’m so grateful to you!
Here's to a kick-ass 2021!
A Couple Updates ...
- As I mentioned starting in my previous newsletter, I am now on day #100 of my 90-Day alcohol-free program — I graduated! And I continue to stay alcohol-free, with the unexpected benefits and “dominoes” surprising me every day. I’m happy to report that I’m running every day — completed the Corona Lisa 100-mile challenge — and now working on 200 miles before end of the year. I’m down 8 lbs and have a reservoir of intellectual clarity, gratitude, and physical energy that I didn’t know was possible. Business is doing well and I’m ready for a powerful 2021. This was indeed a "cone of commitment" that made a huge difference in all parts of my life.
- EXTRA! EXTRA! I’m moving my focus to work with organizational and corporate clients who need to strengthen and develop the core of their organizations (i.e., their middle management layer). In 2021, I will move away from executive and senior leader development to "building better bosses” throughout an organization. My BEST BOSS BOOTCAMP will be the cornerstone of the transformation of organizational leaders and team managers so they become the leadership bench of the organization — the leaders of the future. The year 2020 was a rough one for managers — they are exhausted and depleted. 2021 will be the year managers can be raised up, fortified, energized, and empowered ready for the new post-Covid landscape we’ll find ourselves in by Q2 of 2021. Unleashed Consulting will provide the training, coaching, and support needed for this new world of management and leadership. Will you join me?
Unleash Your Own Game-Changing 2021 Theme!
Want to have your best year ever in 2021? Do you want to kick 2020 to the curb and launch a powerful 2021? Throw out your New Year’s resolutions! (Only 8% of folks actually keep their New Year's resolutions.)
Instead of 2021 resolutions, I want you to consider your 2021 THEME.
Your 2021 THEME is the one or two words that resonate deeply for you and keep you moving towards your best year ever. Your theme is the antithesis of your “resolution”.
Consider the following:
- My 2017 theme was DISCIPLINE — and it paid off. Going through a painful divorce, I can honestly say that the work I had done to get clear on my theme allowed me to be confident and powerful in my new bachelor reality — and in building a thriving new business.
- In 2018, my theme was RADITUDE. It was a melding of “radical” and “gratitude.” I wanted to push myself to experience gratitude all the time. And it worked! I loved that theme.
- In 2019, my theme was HOME, where I prioritized creating the space and environment that I wanted to be in — where I focused on being grounded, energized, and filled to the brim with community, connection, and comfort. Again, it worked. Powerful theme.
- And in 2020, my theme was SPACE. The irony of that makes me smile — how much space did one need in 2020? Either a lot (Get me outta here!), or a little (Too much space in my calendar!). I, fortunately, needed neither — feeling very prepared for the space in my calendar, and my theme of HOME in 2019 had me very content to stay in my home and home-office 24/7 during our pandemic year.
Your own personal 2021 theme will guide you as your personal north star. It doesn’t have the sharp judgment that a New Year’s resolution has, instead it is your gentle reliable compass… always moving you forward to the leader you want to be, and the life you want to have.
Are you ready to let your 2021 THEME find you?
Here is my simple 60-minute, 4-step process for identifying your own 2021 THEME:
Step 1: Complete a Goals Grid (15 minutes)
Take some time to inventory words and phrases that are important to you as you think about a successful 2021. Consider two questions:
- Do you have it?
- Do you want it?
From those two questions come all that you want to...
Step 2: Do a Mind Map (15 minutes)
Complete a simple mind map to further inventory what your 2021 can look like. Brainstorm and free associate what’s important to you. I suggest doing it freehand, but this free online tool is terrific.
Step 3: Sleep on it (15 minutes to prepare)
Look over your Goals Grid and your mind map, see what theme possibilities suggest themselves, then give yourself a night to sleep on the one that really speaks to you. Don’t rush this step. You’ll see what I mean... makes a huge difference in identifying the really powerful theme that will truly support you in 2021.
Step 4: Make yourself accountable (15 minutes)
When you have your own personal powerful 2021 THEME, put it everywhere.
- Put it in your calendar so it pops up every day January 1 - March 31.
- Write it on Post-Its for your bedroom and bathroom mirrors.
- Tell the world — post it on your favorite social media channel.
Tell me what your 2021 theme is! (Let me help you hold yourself accountable to yourself)
You have a 65% chance of completing a goal if you commit to someone. And if you have a specific accountability with a person you’ve committed to, you will increase your chances of success by up to 95%!
A personal 2021 theme is so much smarter and more effective than your typical New Year’s “resolution.” I hope you try it. It’s changed my life.
Here's to your best year ever!
P.S. If I can help you identify your theme for 2021, let me know. Click here, and we’ll set up some time to do the work together.
With over 20 years experience in training and leadership development — and holding an MBA and an MA in Organizational Development — Danny Ceballos has worked with organizations across the country to strengthen their effectiveness in leading and managing others through supervision+motivation best practices and strategies.
Website Facebook LinkedIn
©2020 Danny Ceballos & Unleashed Consulting, LLC